07 December 2008

Day One

I had never thought or dreamed I could teach creative writing to fourth grade students (or for that matter, any student). Since it was my first time ever, upon arriving at Ivey Lane Elementary on that first day, my nerves were almost beyond control. 
Looking back, I tried to reassess why I was feeling nervous, I mean I had prepared with a lesson, I had gone over all in-class assignments, and had a definitive back up plan in case my original plan backfired. Luckily, Laurie, a volunteer teacher, was there to assist me with coming up with the lesson plans. If all else failed, I really hoped Laurie could save the day. (Reader, she did many times). 

I finally just chalked it all up to nerves and stepped into the classroom with Laurie.

I don't know how many pairs of eyes immediately turned to me, but it was enough for my face to turn a deep shade of red. I forced the corners of my lips upwards and introduced myself (and I was reasonably proud of my tone- my voice didn't shake!)

The first thing I had the class do was talk to me about their favorite movie, The Incredibles. I had them define the main and secondary characters, the setting, list a few plot points on a map, the climax, and then the resolution. 
After we had gone over those definitions, I had the class get out a sheet of paper. After a few minutes papers rustling, all eyes were on my again. 

They were to create a Town, from scratch. 
I asked them to think of a name for their town, come up with a few key characters, and to draw out the actual town. Where was the school? Next to the fire station, park, or shopping plaza?

Characters were being made up, establishments and institutions were being devised as part of the town setting, and suddenly Engville came to life.

I then had the students pick a location on the town map to write about as well as creating one made up character. Everyone made up a teacher and a student of their own design. The assignment was to write about an interaction with their student and the teacher. 

At the end of the class period I collected their stories, delighted with Mr. Peanut, their imaginary teacher. 

I was relieved to find that I enjoyed my first day and the beginnings of Engville Elementary.

No comments: