07 December 2008

Proofreading

Today we worked on Editing and Vocabulary. I brought in a sheet with twenty words on it. The students had to copy each of the words twice on that sheet of paper. After they were done, I randomly called on a few students and asked them how to spell one of the words on their sheet. 
Though I thought this would be a good exercise, some of the words I had picked out were too simple which surprised me. While reading their previous work I noticed that most of their assignments had simple spelling mistakes. I resolved to add more difficult words next time. 
Once they were done, I handed two different worksheets, each telling a short story. The paragraphs had many grammar, spelling, punctuation mistakes. I instructed the students to correct each of these paragraphs. When they were done we went over them and I called on each student, asking them to tell me what was wrong with the paragraphs. 
After this, I had them write two paragraphs of their own, using Engeville as a backdrop. The catch was that they had to use 5 of the spelling words from their worksheet. The sheet contained words like "chocolate" and "alligator" and "entertainment". These stories turned out to be very cute and creative.

No comments: