07 December 2008

Ivey lane Elementary

My next visit at Ivey lane proved to me that the little town "Engville" was there to stay. This monday I brought in worksheets explaining simple and compound sentences. The teacher walked around and helped me manage the class as I handed out the worksheets and explained to the students what the in-class assignment was going to be. 
I realized it helped when I broke down everything into a list format. For example, I told the kids the first thing they should do, then the second, etc. Most of the kids tend to jump around and then get really confused. 
Once the kids had finished the worksheet, I asked for volunteers to read aloud each sentence and decide whether it was a compound sentence or a simple sentence. Every single kid wanted to volunteer! They love participating.
After the in class writing assignment I handed out writing prompts about the little town Engeville. There were five different writing prompts and the kids each got one random prompt they had to finish, using compound and simple sentences. 
After they were done some of the kids volunteered to share their stories.

No comments: